Good for you, Deb!!!    That takes guts and determination.
Janice

From: Deb Monteleone
Sent: Saturday, June 11, 2011 11:15 AM
To: TMIC
Subject: [TMIC] Got to see a glimpse of myself pre TM

Hi all,

I don’t write much, but I did recently write about the pain and spasticity.

For 18 years I practiced an art called Aikido before TM/MS hit me 3 years ago.
I have always believed that is what helped me walk again, with cane and balance
issues.  I wanted to get back on the mat because the movements are mostly
circular and I figured it would help and it did.  Slowly I went from doing the
movement using the other person for balance if needed, no throwing.  Then to
getting my balance and throw.  Then to not having to stop in between.  It felt
great, the pain was gone while I was moving on the mat, but when I stopped, oh
boy, but it was worth it, I finally had a smile on my face and joy in my heart.
 I keep trying to somehow get back to what I loved doing, although the duration
is drastically less, like with the 3 wheel bike I bought but the feeling of
riding down the block in the fresh air is wonderful.

Don’t get me wrong, I am not always Miss positive.  Actually, I had a very big
crying session earlier this week when I was out on my bike (having a difficult
time this trip) an I saw my neighbor walking his dog.  It just hit me hard that
I will never be able to have that life again which I so dearly miss.  The next
day I am thinking how can I get back to my woodworking.  I guess we just have
to keep going forward from whatever spot we are currently at and let ourselves
grieve and cry when need be.

This is a very short video of me doing Aikido (my TM therapy).  Turns out is
was 2 days after I had an exasperation, no wonder I said I hadn’t been feeling
too well lately and had to stop after a short time.  It was my first
exasperation, what did I know.

Make it a great day,

Deb

http://youtu.be/V_sm-SawTP4