From: "pjv1...@chartermi.net" <pjv1...@chartermi.net>
To: Andrea <and...@cleverendeavours.co.uk>
Cc: tmic-list@eskimo.com
Sent: Monday, October 10, 2011 10:31 PM
Subject: RE: [TMIC] How can a spouse help?

Andrea,
You are a special spouse - searching the 'net for answers and asking how you
can help show how much you care for you husband and the future of your family.
I have had TM for eight years and have constant pain.  However, I enjoy my life
in spite of it.  I had a good neurologist who cared about my level of pain and
suggested different meds and doses until we found a combination that kept the
pain at a bearable level.  Oddly, the first medication that I was prescribed
when diagnosed with TM (alng with the steroid regimine) was an antidepressant.
The doctor in the rehab hospital suggested it along with the all the therapy I
needed.  It took me 3 to 4 weeks before I admitted that I was in pain, because
I thought the pain was a good sign that I was recovering from TM.  Huh!
I usually will not talk about my pain or give an honest answer.   Oddly, I
ended up seeking psychiatric help after having TM for six years.  My husband
and I were going thru numerous life changes and I needed professional help in
understanding why I was loosing control of my life.  My husband told me that he
was jealous that I got to talk to someone and my therapist suggested that she
see him in order to help me.  We both benefitted from the therapy.
The antidepressant that I take (Cymbalta) is also prescribed in the U.S. for
pain so I get a double benefit from it.
I hated hearing that people still had pain after years of TM and I thought that
I was "stronger" than that and I would be one of those to beat this illness.
Well, I am beating it every single day.  However,  I have had to reach out to
other TMers for the day to day problems and to professionals for the
medications and various therapies.
There is no good answer to the how are you today question.  Possibly you could
ask instead - Is there anything I can do for you today?
Inspite of TM I have a good life!  There is hope that he will get better - I
never got worse.
Keep in touch.  We are a caring group of people who are here to support each
other.

Patti - Michigan (USA)