  From: pjv1...@chartermi.net
  To: tmic
  Sent: Friday, December 16, 2011 9:04 PM
  Subject: [TMIC] How to educate medical prodessionals

  One of the best tools that I have used in talking to my doctors is repeating
something that I learned from someone in TMIC, my "online support group".  I
quote some of you.  I ask my doctors about the meds some of you are taking.  I
Show the combinations that are working and let my doctor that I'm not the only
TM patient with such and such a symptom.  I asked my doctor about Lyrica after
reading about it from people on TMIC.  The same thing happened when some of you
had success with Cymbalta.  My doctor's have been impressed with the knowledge
of our group.

  My personality was effected by TM.  TM was a humbling experience.  My brain
was clouded and fuzzy.  I stumbled and bumped into walls.  My income was cut in
half.  I became a "housewife" instead of having the prestige of my 35 year
career.  There were times I had a hard time thinking of words or forming a
complete sentence.  I felt lke a zombie.  I've come a long, long way in my
eight years with TM, but when I first had TM and Barbara Harper told me she was
still getting better after eight I was appalled.  I had been a goal oriented
person and I was seeking a quick-fix answer.  The oldies on TMIC know there is
no quick-fix for TM.  We have found happiness in something besides ourselves.

  It isn't mind over matter.  It isn't "getting over yourself" as one friend
said to me.  It's accepting who you are right now and hoping it will get
better.  I have improved year after year after year.  My life changed, but I
appreciate much more now than I did eight years ago when I thought I was on top
of the world.

  HOPE!

  Patti - Michigan