Dalton, you really are a travelling man!!!     Great descriptions.
Janice

From: Dalton Garis
Sent: Saturday, July 06, 2013 12:48 PM
To: heyjude48...@aol.com ; tmic-list@eskimo.com
Subject: Re: [TMIC] RE: TM & Weather

The Northeast is probably the best bet for jobs, and with its temperate
climate, OK w.r.t. pain, but it experiences lots of allergies, pressure changes
and weather extremes.

The other shot is the Pacific Northwest to the West of the Cascades, if—and
this is a big if—you can live with overcast skies all the time.  Some of the
most picturesque spots on earth are found high up the west side of the Cascade
Mountains in Washington State, little towns on the slopes, all but snowed in in
the wintertime and mild in the summer, surrounded by gigantic old-growth firs,
spruces and hemlocks.  Of course, there is none but local service work in such
little towns—dentist, the lawyer, the mechanic, the doctor (likely the same
person!).

I lived on the Olympic Peninsula four years, in Port Angeles.  It had three
seasons, a cool summer, a chilly, wet winter, but not too much freezing
temperatures; and also a fine and dry early to late fall season.  And a big
advantage in the Pacific Northwest is the absence of flying bugs, which,
unfortunately, also means almost no songbirds.  There are also almost no
communicable diseases in the Pacific Northwest.  I am not up to date regarding
the deer tick and Lyme complex that has swept the country over the past four
decades; but with deer not as plentiful as in the Northeast, the South and
Midwest, it should be less of a problem there.

For a constantly cool climate without temperature extremes and almost no snow
in winter or heat waves in summer go the Olympic Peninsula, but do this only if
you can live without seeing the sun or the stars for weeks or months at a time.
 (Hey, when the sun comes out, we don't tan; we rust!)  Port Townsend is best,
a charming town with lots of interesting shops, more sun than Port Angeles, and
lots of fine old wood-frame Victorian housing.  Ferries connect you directly
with Seattle and Victoria, British Columbia.  Live in Port Angeles and be
connected by ferry to Victoria, British Columbia, and thence to Vancouver and
the Inner Passage, some of the most majestically beautiful country there is.
Less expensive than Port Townsend, Port Angeles has been getting more
interesting over the years.  When I lived there there you fished, worked in the
saw mill or cut timber, unless you operated a store or business.  But now it
has turned into a more rounded economy.

On the Pacific Coast there are the old towns of Hoquiam or Cosmopolous on Grays
Harbor.  But you are really "out there" with these towns.  Nice as they are,
with their old Victorian housing stock and old streets, don't expect many
visitors from the East!  With the internet, however, we are not as isolated as
before.

Colorado (lived there a year) and New Mexico (lived there a year, also) are
nice, but getting very expensive.  Montana is very nice, (spent some time
there) west of the Rockies. Much of it used to be sheep country and now also
winter tourism, which drives up prices.  To the east is high and mostly dry
wheat country. Same for Oregon and Washington.  But Montana's economy may be
expanding from just natural resource-based to a more rounded economy including
more job opportunities.

That's all I have.  Never lived in the Upper Midwest.  Lived in Texas three
years and North-central Florida nine years; but you suggest they are leaving
there.

Dalton Garis
Flushing, NY 11354
(718) 838-0437