If you look people up on Goodreads.com, you can peruse what they've been
reading. One of my recent favorites is Unbroken by Lauren Hillenbrand. Also
the Mitford series by Jan Karon (At Home in Mitford is the first).

My kids are big into the Marvel comics films, so we've enjoyed the Iron Man
films, The Avengers, Captain America, etc. They have a lot of classic
English love stories on Netflix: Pride and Prejudice, Sense and
Sensibility, Wives and Daughters, Emma, North and South (the British one
based on the book by Elizabeth Gaskell, not the one based in America. The
book was great as well).

I don't watch or read many mysteries, but we have watched many TV shows
that are based on Mysteries: Castle, Chuck, White Collar. They have those
on Netflix as well, possibly on Hulu too.

Barbara H.