George,

That looks like tmux picking up a bell (0x07) character, and is an indication that the program on that window tried to alert the user for some reason. In one terminal emulator I have to use, there is an audible tone (typically the system alert tone on Windows) when the shell issues a bell character.

How to turn it off in tmux I don't know, but you may be able to configure vim to not issue a bell character in the first place when you press Escape more than once, and that will avoid tmux picking it up.