You can also type (say) "echo -e '\e\\'" blindly. You're still getting a
prompt, it's just being sent to the window title, like everything else.

\e\\ (and its equivalent \e]0;) is a pretty special case, though, I
doubt there are other sequences that can freeze up the term so solidly.
They're special since they have to accept virtually every character that
follows as a valid part of the sequence, until they see the expected
terminator. With most other sequences, hitting a few random keys is
likely to break you out.

-mjc

On 01/25/2011 02:28 PM, Nicholas Marriott wrote:
> Oh and you can also get the pty /dev node from "tmux info" and send a
> \033 to it :-).
>

> On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 10:24:57PM +0000, Nicholas Marriott wrote:
>> Well, it doesn't really freeze tmux, it input from one pane.
>>
>> We used to abort the sequence when the buffer was full but now we have
>> INPUT_DISCARD. Could get rid of that but it would need some way to throw
>> a state change back up. You can do it if you like but if not IMO it is
>> enough to say "don't do that then".
>>
>> gnome-terminal is not a good implementation to model behaviour from, how
>> xterm handles it is usually the right way.
>>
>> Cheers
>>

>> On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 02:11:00PM -0800, Kevin Goodsell wrote:
>>> I've noticed that tmux can be "frozen" by doing something like this:
>>>
>>>   $ echo -e '\e_'
>>>
>>> This probably shouldn't be much of a surprise given the definition of
>>> the state machine used in input.c, and maybe it's considered OK. A
>>> quick test show that xterm also has this problem, but VTE
>>> (gnome-terminal) doesn't.
>>>
>>> I wanted to call attention to this in case it is cause for concern.
>>>
>>> In case it's not clear what is happening when it is "frozen", sending
>>> a prefix for certain states will cause the terminal to remain in that
>>> state until a termination sequence (usually just anything beginning
>>> with ESC) is encountered in the input. The lack of a shell prompt
>>> makes it impossible (or not?) to send anything to the input stream to
>>> cause a return to the default state.
>>>
>>> -Kevin

Micah J. Cowan
http://micah.cowan.name/