(04/19/2011 02:02 PM), David Chanters wrote:
> hi all,
>
> when i split a window in tmux, and i select some contents in a pane, i
> can currently select beyond the boundary of the split. is there a way
> to make tmux to box the select to not go outside the split region -
> much like how selecting works in Vim with split windows, for example.

That behavior is proof positive that you're not using tmux's selection
ability, you're using your host terminal's.

Use tmux's "copy-mode" command. Of course, this will only use tmux's
internal buffers, not X's, so you may need additional tools to get it
into your X copy buffer or whatnot.

I use this binding:

bind-key > send-keys 'Enter' \; save-buffer /tmp/.tmux-exchange \;
run-shell 'xsel -i < /tmp/.tmux-exchange; xsel -i -b < /tmp/.tmux-exchange'

(sorry, my mailer wrapped it, hopefully you'll figure it out.)

It lets me do <prefix> ">" to end a copy-mode selection (done via
keyboard), and copy the results to the X buffers. If you prefer to use
your mouse in copy-mode, then you'll already have exited copy-mode when
you release the mouse, so you may want to remove that initial "send-keys
'Enter' \;" from the binding.

--
HTH,
Micah J. Cowan