In short, the split-window -v 'CMD' will execute CMD in the bottom pane, the
upper bash.  Is there a way to specify a command for the upper pane as well.
Also, can I get CMD to execute in the upper pane instead?  I can build my list
of panes, but it's a bit confusing to think "bottom up".

The only lines (just for testing) in my tmux.test file is
===
new-session -d
split-window -v -l 5 'ssh user@targethost'
===