New user alert! (using tmux 1.4 on gentoo linux)

I might just be missing a better way to rename a window.  Maybe
someone will be able to tell me.

As a long time screen user, I've learned to name the various screens I
might run for what they are doing, or who they are in order to keep up
with what is going on everywhere.

In tmux, it appears the rename is done by `C-b .' so now I'm renaming
tmux screens the same way I did in screen.

There is one problem though, in screen the name of the screen being
renamed is always visible throughout the rename process.  Whereas in
tmux you see `(move-window)' as soon as you press `C-b .' and the name
of the screen has disappeared.

When renaming several windows, its easy enough to lose track of which
one you are working on, and in tmux it seems you need to hit ctrl-C to
quit the process, reread the name, then start again.

Not a huge problem for sure but still does the name really have to
disappear during the process?

Maybe there is some better way to rename that I should learn?