The Gnu screen "backtick" command, for displaying a program's output in the
status bar, has an option that works like this (from the screen manpage):

       ...If both the lifespan and the autorefresh parameters are zero, the
back‐
       tick  program is expected to stay in the background and generate
output
       once in a while.  In this case, the command is executed right away
and
       screen  stores  the  last  line  of  output. If a new line gets
printed
       screen will automatically refresh the hardstatus or the captions...

The input method editor UIM was apparently designed to be used with screen,
and it takes advantage of this feature.  There is a little utility, called
uim-fep-tick, that will run in the background and keep an eye on your
currently selected input mode; every time you switch input modes, it will
emit another line containing the name of the new mode.

However, it never returns.  So in tmux, if you
      set -g status-right '#(uim-fep-tick)'
then nothing is ever displayed.

Has anyone else encountered an issue like this?  Any workarounds available?

Thanks,
   Dan

--
Everything is vague to a degree you do not realize til you have tried to
make it precise.

If there is an appeal here, it is to a Popperian type of fragility: look,
I'm a proper scientist, because I've just shown you how fragile my theory
is; in fact, I've just broken it.
 –R. Allen Harris