(08/12/2011 11:07 AM), Julius Plenz wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm not quite sure what to make of this. Both screen and tmux won't
> handle terminfo's "el" and "ed" (clear to end of line/display) the way
> I think it should work. Consider:
>
>     echo `tput setab 2`foo`tput el`"\r"
>
> I would expect to find the line cleared (and colored!) until the end.
> In XTerm and Rxvt this works like expected, in tmux (and screen) it
> doesn't. Take a look at the screenshot at
> http://www.plenz.com/imgdump/2011-08-12-194658_585x153_scrot.png
> - top is a regular terminal, below the same command in tmux.

Color-on-erase should only be expected when the terminal advertises
support for "bce" (background color erase), which neither screen nor
tmux can guarantee (since the host term must also support it).

IIRC, screen _can_ support it, if the host terminal does. You have to
explicitly set "bce" to on in your ~/.screenrc. In which case it is
recommended that you set TERM to "screen-bce" within screen (to
advertise that support).

--
Micah J. Cowan
http://micah.cowan.name/