On 2/9/2012 4:00 AM, Nicholas Marriott wrote:
> I'd rather not translate aixterm colours on terminals that support them:
>
> - They are fewer bytes than the 256 colour equivalents.
>
> - We can't predict what configuration options terminals have - some may
>    have the ability to alter the palette for aixterm colours independent
>    of the 256 colour palette.
>
> I'd rather they were passed through unaltered except on 8 colour
> terminals.

I see your reasoning with the second point:  tmux should make as few
assumptions as possible regarding the underlying terminal.  But, if you
decide to accept my (original) patch, wouldn't tmux then be making the
implicit assumption that all 256-colour terminals use the same palette
as xterm-256 (and all 88-colour terminals the same as xterm-88)?  For
example, that the indices 8-15 correspond to the aixterm colours?
(Actually, this assumption is still there in the current version of
tmux; all the patch does is remove another assumption regarding the
actual _format_ of the 256/88-colour escape sequences.)

That being said, perhaps the better way of resolving the issue would be
for tmux to have its own termcap/terminfo entries (I see from the TODO
file that you have been considering this).  As it stands right now, tmux
assumes that all 256/88/16-colour terminals support aixterm colours.  At
least one 256-colour terminal (i.e. fbterm) does not.  This wouldn't be
an issue if not for the fact that 256-colour tmux relies on the
'screen-256color' termcap/terminfo entry, which yields ANSI colours for
indices 0-7, aixterm colours for indices 8-15, and xterm-256 colours for
indices 16-255 (for the sake of saving characters).  Were tmux to have
its own 256-colour termcap/terminfo entry it would seem best to use the
same set of escape sequences (i.e. xterm-256) for all colours (or at
least for non-ANSI colours).  Then applications running in tmux and
relying on termcap/terminfo would not be coerced into using aixterm
colours, but the aixterm colours would be still be available for
explicit use.