Hi,

On 3 June 2012 19:44, Nicholas Marriott <nicholas.marri...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It isn't there to be defensive, free(NULL) of course is always
> guaranteed to be safe. It's a deliberate aid to writing correct code,
> you should know where your null pointers are. Whether it actually helps
> or not is another matter :-).

Hehe.  I really don't think it does help -- all it does is pepper the
code with "if (foo != NULL) xfree (foo);" for the uncommon case, where
you're guarding against nothing for no good reason, in my opinion.
Yes, knowing where your NULLs are is definitely a good thing to know,
but in the case where you might have malloc()d something or not
(because a certain element hasn't changed, or had a value set), and
you then have to code around that eventuality just to free it, which
is safe w.r.t NULL, creates unnecessary work, IMO.

Kindly,

-- Thomas Adam