Hi Steve, this might not be exactly what you're looking for (as it won't work
from scripts executed on the remote server), but it might solve your problem.

Try hitting `<TMUX_PREFIX> :`

This triggers the tmux's `command-prompt` command, which lets you enter tmux
commands directly. Personally I use it to create new sessions, by entering `new
-s session_name` into the command prompt.

Hope this helps :)

-jimeh