Hello,

I am running tmux on an embedded linux system. I have been trying to add
special characters to my status bar in tmux for a few days. This was made
difficult because when I attempt to set the status bar in my config file
through something like

set -g status-right "#(echo -e '\xnn\xnn)'"

My status bar will simply show "xnnxnn" rather than the character that hex
represents. other escapes also do not work (for example like escaping into the
alternate character set). The command works as expected from a terminal
however, so I wrapped the call into a shell script and simply call that shell
script in my tmux config via

set -g status-right "#(/path/to/shellscript)"

This finally did succeed in placing the special character on the statusbar,
however it messed up the far right edge. For every character I place on the
status bar in this way, another character is appended to the end of my
statusbar in a fairly glitchy manner. It usually simply repeats the last
legitimate character on the statusbar (in my case the minutes of the time). If
the statusbar gets reset or hidden and then restored, then rather than
repeating the final character, I just get an orange background with no
character in it for those spaces.

What is this strange behavior, and how can I fix it?

Thanks for any help!

Ian