On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 12:48:47PM +0000, John Long wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 01:38:37PM +0100, Nicholas Marriott wrote:
> > Hmm this looks fine too. If you do "cat" outside tmux and press
> > backspace, do you get "^H" or nothing printed?
>
> It does what I would expect, it erases the t in cat and leaves me with ca,
> no funny characters are printed.
>

> > When you say the backspace goes forward, do you mean that the cursor
> > moves right but the character is still deleted, or the cursor moves but
> > the character isn't deleted,
>
> The cursor moves to the right and no characters are deleted. Really quite
> unnerving! ;-)
>
> > or what? Does it make any difference if you are at the shell prompt or if
> > you are typing after running "cat"?
>
> Not sure what you meant. In tmux when I press backspace at the shell prompt
> I don't see anything happening. If I type at least one character then
> backspace, then the cursor moves to the right one character.
>
> For example if I type the letter c and backspace I get
>
> %c
>    ^
>    cursor points here, two chars after the c.
>

> It would seem, when I press backspace repeatedly the cursor goes forward as
> many characters as were typed. It just seems to be going in the wrong
> direction, and not deleting anything. Very very weird.

Ok, but is that behaviour just at the shell prompt, or if you run "cat"
then do the same, ie you are typing in cat rather than at the shell,
does the cursor also move wrongly? Eg do:

$ cat
abcdef<backspace>

Instead of at the shell prompt.

I'm trying to work out if this is because tmux is getting the wrong
thing from zsh, or getting the right thing from zsh but displaying the
wrong thing for xterm.