Thanks! That produces four files whose names begin with "strace.out.".
There are around 20 open() failures across those files that all say "No
such file or directory".
I suspect all or most of these are expected errors for optional files.

Here they are:
/etc/ld.so.nohwcap
/tmp/tmux-1000/default
/etc/tmux.conf
/home/pi/.terminfo
/etc/terminfo/x/xterm
/var/run/nscd/socket
/proc/0/cwd
/proc/0/cmdline
/etc/ld/so.preload
/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libfm/bash
/usr/local/sbin/bash
/usr/local/bin/bash
/usr/sbin/bash
/usr/bin/bash
/sbin/bash
/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libfm/reattach-to-user-namespace (related to
my Mac configuration)
several other directories looking for reattach-to-user-namespace
/usr/share/local/en_GB.UTF-8/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo
several other directories looking for bash.mo

Does any of this give you a clue?

On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 8:23 AM, Nicholas Marriott <
nicholas.marri...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Try "strace -ff -ostrace.out tmux new" then look for an open() that
> fails in the output files. Send me the files if you can't figure it out
> and I'll have a look.
>

> On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 08:18:01AM -0500, Mark Volkmann wrote:
> >    I was able to install tmux on a Raspberry Pi running the recommended
> >    "Wheezy" Debian distribution. However, I wasn't able to start it.
> When I
> >    enter "tmux new -s foo", it just outputs "[exited]". If I run the same
> >    command with sudo, it works. Maybe I need to change permissions on
> some
> >    files. Any idea which and why I need to do that?
> >    --
> >    R. Mark Volkmann
> >    Object Computing, Inc.

> > Precog is a next-generation analytics platform capable of advanced
> > analytics on semi-structured data. The platform includes APIs for
> building
> > apps and a phenomenal toolset for data science. Developers can use
> > our toolset for easy data analysis & visualization. Get a free account!
> > http://www2.precog.com/precogplatform/slashdotnewsletter

R. Mark Volkmann
Object Computing, Inc.