On 01/06/13 03:22 AM, Nicholas Marriott wrote:
> Hi
>
> What commands are you doing that regularly exceed 2048 bytes and why

Thank you Nicolas, I often use tmux as part of scripts that run long
processes on Amazon EC2 instances (so if I get disconnected, I can
reattach later and check the progress). Here is an example:

    https://github.com/jablko/android/blob/master/Makefile

> can't you put them in a temporary script or something and run that
> instead?

Yes, this is how I work around the problem at the moment, it's just
unexpected and irritating when it happens. A higher limit wouldn't
eliminate the problem entirely (unless the limit was close to system
ARG_MAX), it would just save some irritation and avoid some workarounds.
I don't know what the tradeoffs are...

Thanks again,