I am a big fan of the feature in Vim which allows you to move a vim-window
(the tmux pane equivalent) _all the way_ in a particular direction by
typing Ctrl+W, H/J/K/L.

Unfortunately tmux has no feature here, but select-layout seems promising.

However, I'd like to avoid reverse-engineering the layout format.

The format is shown from the manpage:

> In addition, select-layout may be used to apply a previously used layout
- the
> list-windows command displays the layout of each window in a form
suitable for use
> with select-layout.  For example:

>       $ tmux list-windows

>       0: ksh [159x48]

>           layout: bb62,159x48,0,0{79x48,0,0,79x48,80,0}

>       $ tmux select-layout bb62,159x48,0,0{79x48,0,0,79x48,80,0}

I'm on tmux 1.8 and it looks like this over here:

% tmux list-windows

1: zsh- (2 panes) [274x76] [layout
6f06,274x76,0,0{87x76,0,0,0,186x76,88,0,1}] @0
2: zsh* (3 panes) [274x76] [layout
250f,274x76,0,0{97x76,0,0[97x53,0,0,2,97x22,0,54,7],176x76,98,
0,4}] @1 (active)

3: zsh  (1 panes) [274x76] [layout cc63,274x76,0,0,6] @3

4: zsh  (1 panes) [274x76] [layout cc65,274x76,0,0,8] @4

I'm hoping someone in the know could give me some hints about how to parse
this so that I can compute what the result would be to warp any pane to one
of the directions.

I am particularly curious about the meaning of the first 4 characters in
the layout, it appears to be a 16 bit hex quantity. My windows 3 and 4
there are in the exact same configuration (both 274x76 single pane
windows), so I dunno why one is cc63 and the other is cc65.