Hello,
** Benjamin Bergman [2013-08-22 22:16:02 -0500]:

> I'm running Arch Linux and I just ran some updates and rebooted. I tried
> running tmux and it exits immediately after printing some strange
> characters to the screen. Some examples:

> /62;9;c_
> [>4m^[[?62;9;c

> The 62;9;c is there pretty much every time. In addition to this, most times
> I try to run tmux, it breaks my terminal session and I need to run `reset`
> to get things sorted again. By 'breaks' I mean that if I do something like
> `ls -la` new lines are aligned to the end of the previous line instead of
> to the left of the screen.

> Any and all suggestions are welcome.

This may be unrelated to tmux at all, I too use Archlinux, with glibc
update on one of my machine tmux and any other terminal emulators were
"broken"... the solution was very simple: comment or simply delete a
line with 'devpts' in /etc/fstab.

In short: /etc/fstab sets wrong permission on all pts files, while at
startup systemd do things right. I don't have links right now to
apropriate discussion and Archlinux bug tracker, but you easily find
ones.

---
WBR, Vladimir Lomov

--