---

** [tickets:#60] Unable to use the shift key in tmux.conf**

**Status:** open
**Labels:** tmux 1.8 mac
**Created:** Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:58 PM UTC by bkg6891
**Last Updated:** Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:58 PM UTC
**Owner:** nobody

I was unable to bind the 'Shift' key to a command in my 'tmux.conf' on either
OS X or Ubuntu/Debian. The manual doesn't include the 'Shift' key among the
keys you could use in keybindings and only mentions 'Space', 'Tab', etc.

I understand that there's some ambiguity when it comes to 'Shift + [alpha]'
where '[alpha]' is an alphabetic character, but in this case, I was trying to
bind 'Shift + Tab'.

These answers on Stackoverflow seem to suggest that it's possible
([1](http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/5998/how-do-i-bind-to-shiftarrow-in-tmux)
 and
[2](http://stackoverflow.com/questions/15470001/bind-ctrltab-and-ctrlshifttab-in-tmux)).
 Am I missing something or has tmux 1.8, the developer version, changed in this
regard? Thanks for your help.

---

Sent from sourceforge.net because tmux-users@lists.sourceforge.net is
subscribed to https://sourceforge.net/p/tmux/tickets/

To unsubscribe from further messages, a project admin can change settings at
https://sourceforge.net/p/tmux/admin/tickets/options.  Or, if this is a mailing
list, you can unsubscribe from the mailing list.