You have it right.  Perhaps the current behavior is the intended behavior; but
what i’d like is for save-buffer to write to the fifo but either show an error
message (“no readers” or the like) or block, in the worst case, until I read
from the fifo.   I haven’t taken a deep look yet, but i’m guessing that
O_NDELAY may be set but there’s just no intuitive error message indicating what
happens.

If I am reading from the fifo actively, save-buffer works as expected.

Tim