On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 6:40 PM, Nicholas Marriott
<nicholas.marri...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Otherwise I suggest you also check the shell startup files (in /etc too)
> to see if there is anything that matches xterm and screen but not
> screen-*.

I did find something here but I'm unclear as to how to interpret it.

In the vanilla shell when I ssh up to one of these boxes,
PROMPT_COMMAND is set to what appears to be an entirely non-printing
command: 'printf "\033]0;%s@%s:%s\007" "${USER}" "${HOSTNAME%%.*}"
"${PWD/#$HOME/~}"'

This is caused by the following entries in /etc/bashrc:

# are we an interactive shell?
if [ "$PS1" ]; then
  if [ -z "$PROMPT_COMMAND" ]; then
    case $TERM in
xterm*)
if [ -e /etc/sysconfig/bash-prompt-xterm ]; then
PROMPT_COMMAND=/etc/sysconfig/bash-prompt-xterm
else
            PROMPT_COMMAND='printf "\033]0;%s@%s:%s\007" "${USER}"
"${HOSTNAME%%.*}" "${PWD/#$HOME/~}"'
fi
;;
screen)
if [ -e /etc/sysconfig/bash-prompt-screen ]; then
PROMPT_COMMAND=/etc/sysconfig/bash-prompt-screen
else
            PROMPT_COMMAND='printf "\033]0;%s@%s:%s\033\\" "${USER}"
"${HOSTNAME%%.*}" "${PWD/#$HOME/~}"'
fi
;;
*)
[ -e /etc/sysconfig/bash-prompt-default ] &&
PROMPT_COMMAND=/etc/sysconfig/bash-prompt-default
   ;;
    esac
  fi
  # Turn on checkwinsize
  shopt -s checkwinsize
  [ "$PS1" = "\\s-\\v\\\$ " ] && PS1="[\u@\h \W]\\$ "
fi

Notice the special handling of screen and xterm*.

Under tmux, PROMPT_COMMAND is empty.

This doesn't seem to explain though why I would be able to get
wrapping back by simply setting TERM to xterm et al in an already
running shell though, because PROMPT_COMMAND is still empty after I
modify that variable.

Anything to see here?

--

In Christ,