If I want to get the process ID that is running in the active
pane/window on a session, I can do this:

tmux list-panes -t $SESSION -F '#{pane_pid}'

But if the pane is dead because the process quit, is there a way to get
the exit code that the process quit with?  Specifically, I need to do
this from outside of tmux, like the command above.