If it is possible, I want xterm's title to display tmux's current and previous
pane titles. Ideally it would work for as many panes as there are, but
displaying the current and previous panes would be fine.

For example, xterm's title:
format: "tmux> [TITLE_PANE_1] / [TITLE_PANE_2]"
example: "tmux> [vi ~/.tmux.conf] / [man tmux]"

I see two possible solutions to this but i haven't been able solved either way.

Solution one: have tmux set it,
set-option -g set-titles-string 'tmux> [#TITLE_PANE_1] / [#TITLE_PANE_2]'

Solution two: have shell set it
TITLE_PANE_1=`tmux show_TITLE_PANE_1`
TITLE_PANE_1=`tmux show_TITLE_PANE_2`
echo -n "033]0;tmux> ${TITLE_PANE_1} / ${TITLE_PANE_2}007"

If it matters i use
zsh v5.0.5
xterm v304
tmux v1.9