tmux from git may improve this since we support enacs, but it can still happen
because of how terminals work.

-------- Original message --------
From: Kaushal <kaushal.m...@gmail.com>
Date: 17/07/2014  19:33  (GMT+00:00)
To: tmux-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: stdout becomes scrambled at times when running ag

Hi,

At times ag (searching tool like grep) ends up searching binary files like pdf
and the tmux output becomes something like this: http://i.imgur.com/yy8lw9g.png

It is understood that the stdout shows those scrambled characters as 'ag' is
trying to read a binary file. But the problem is that I have to kill that pane
because then all characters in that pane appear jumbled: my shell prompt, the
characters that I type in shell, etc..

In the above linked screenshot, I have typed a-z and they showed up like that
jumbled mess (except for few alphabets).

The same issue does not happen if I am running ag directly in an xterm window
(outside tmux).

The only terminal related options I have set in .tmux.conf are:
setw  -g xterm-keys        on
set   -g default-terminal  "xterm-256color" # "xterm"

Here is my full .tmux.conf:
https://github.com/kaushalmodi/dotfiles/blob/master/.tmux.conf

--
Kaushal Modi