> Commit 193b6bcf36dda3754c99beb0dcc3dfdfceebdb09 looks suspect.

I don't think that commit affects this as it was committed after 1.9a
was released.

> Shift-F1 - Shift-F8 are no longer being handled properly by Tmux.  A
> tilda, ~, is simply printed to the terminal, rather than the keypress
> being handled properly as defined in my ~/.tmuxrc with a bindkey -n
> S-F2 command, for example.

I can't reproduce this in my setup, binding S-F2 works for me in my
xterm. On the other hand using terminal like urxvt it doesn't work
because for some reason S-F1, S-F2 generate the same sequences as F11
and F12 (and I get the ~ character in bash as described in your report).

Which terminal are you using? What character sequences do you get when
you run "cat" in the terminal (without tmux) and press S-F1?

> There seems to be a regression with the release of tmux 1.9, which we
> are experiencing in Debian and Ubuntu 14.10 (utopic) systems which
> have merged the new tmux release.

Just to be sure: Have you tried both 1.8 and 1.9a in the same terminal?

Thanks!

--
Balazs