From: Balazs Kezes <rlblas...@gmail.com>
Date: 10/08/2014  09:59  (GMT+00:00)
To: Ticket 151 <1...@tickets.tmux.p.re.sf.net>
Cc: tmux-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [tmux:tickets] #151 Add pane logging facility similar to
        screen's "log" command

On 2014-08-08 04:18 +0000, Scott Rochford wrote:
> Please add a feature similar to screen's 'log' command which allows
> you to set up log files of each window using a filename template.

I have a very experimental patch, just for myself, adding a similar
feature. The implementation is quite easy, for all lines which enter the
history, dump the lines into this file. I also timestamp each line,
remove all formatting (e.g. colors) and each pane goes into a different
file. It makes very easy to grep in these logs for future reference. It
also works as an "infinite scrollback" (see my answer to ticket 112).

The only caveat is that anything what enters the history, you can't pull
it back to the active screen (which currently happens when you resize
your pane to a higher height) but I like tmux better this way. The
reason for this is to avoid duplicate lines in the logs.

If this is something the tmux devs consider as a good idea, I can clean
up my patch to make it palatable.

--
Balazs