Yes,

However, this is preventing me from being able to use control mode reliably
to get session/window/pane information and orchestrate tmux.  This is
actually why I ultimately abandoned using control mode in the first
iteration of my python wrapper.

I will give supporting this a shot in the wrapper. We back everything with
a pretty robust test suite - in fact it tests against multiple tmux
versions, with real tmux clients/sessions and live FORMATS data. The
flexibility / minimalism of FORMATS, -t target and list-* has been
especially helpful since 1.8+. So I'm in a better position see how swapping
those many shell commands with control mode affects things.

I may be able to handle the cases where control mode can quit.

I also believe I could encapsulate the tmux control mode into a separate
(temporary) session during the duration of a tmux.Server [2] object. It
does leave me the issue of sweeping them up and having my wrapper
potentially leave a zombie session.

However, as it stands, it would clean up *a lot* of logic in my wrapper if
future versions of tmux, control mode would have a flag / workaround for
what I mentioned.

[1] https://github.com/tony/tmuxp/blob/master/tmuxp/workspacebuilder.py
[2] https://github.com/tony/tmuxp/blob/master/.travis.yml
[3] https://github.com/tony/tmuxp/tree/master/tmuxp/testsuite

On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 2:32 PM, Nicholas Marriott <
nicholas.marri...@gmail.com> wrote:

> It's just another client. You can set the size somehow. switch-client -C
> maybe, or something with -C anyway

If I rely on control mode to send commands, I may get bad FORMATS data back
for objects that could cause unexpected behavior when constructing /
freezing workspaces [1, above].

We use switch_client (
https://github.com/tony/tmuxp/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=switch_client),
however, I've never seen it used with control mode. I'll dig into that
further , but I don't think it applies.