On 09/05/15 12:12, Nicholas Marriott wrote:
> On Sat, May 09, 2015 at 11:38:09AM +0200, Leonardo Brondani Schenkel wrote:
>> Makes perfect sense. However, since I get ^[[D or ^[OD in cat, where did
>> KEYC_ESCAPE go? Shouldn't I be getting ^[^[[D or ^[^[OD instead? What am
>> I missing here? It looks to me that I'm pressing Alt/Option+Left in the
>> terminal but the app is receiving just a Left, and the Alt went missing.
>
> This doesn't seem to be the case, from your logs:
>
> keys are 2 (^[b)
> complete key ^[b 0x301f
> writing key 0x301f
> found key 0x301f: "^[[D"
>
> This shows tmux found ^[[D for 0x1f (the key is looked for without the
> modifiers).
>
> Then:
>
> input_parse: '^' ground
> input_parse: '[' ground
> input_parse: '^' ground
> input_parse: '[' ground
> input_parse: '[' ground
> input_parse: 'D' ground
>
> input_parse is logging what tmux receives from the terminal, in this
> case it is "cat" printing "^[^[[D".
>
> So the additional ^[ was sent to the terminal, and cat echoed it.

I re-checked and you're totally right; my memory failed me.

Thanks for your patience in explaining this. Now I have a much better
understanding of the key translation behavior performed by tmux.

(I also found it weird that kLFT3 is compiled in the binary terminfo
database and "infocmp -x" doesn't show it, but that's off-topic for this
list.)

// Leonardo.