---

** [tickets:#200] Bring back monitor-content**

**Status:** open
**Created:** Tue May 26, 2015 01:29 PM UTC by Lucas Werkmeister
**Last Updated:** Tue May 26, 2015 01:29 PM UTC
**Owner:** nobody

`monitor-content` was an amazingly useful tool to check changing content, like
growing logs (`tail -f` or `less` with `F`) or `watch` output (`watch some_tool
status`). It was removed in
[992ef70](https://sourceforge.net/p/tmux/tmux-code/ci/992ef70fb696d648b3ec6ed97642fd79a8392baf/)
 with the justification that it “never worked really well” (which I can’t
understand, since I never experienced problems with it and neither commit
message nor changelog elaborate on any problems), and further slammed in [this
comment](http://sourceforge.net/p/tmux/tickets/193/#3abd) as “crap” (I
*strongly* disagree), with the recommendation to use the vastly less powerful
`monitor-silence` instead (laughable).

I suggest that if the authors don’t have the time to “consider better ways to
do it”, then it should just be brought back in exactly the form in which it was
removed, which was IMHO already very useful. If there are serious problems with
it, they could be warned against in the manpage, but simply removing the option
without any substitute is IMHO a *lot* worse.

---

Sent from sourceforge.net because tmux-users@lists.sourceforge.net is
subscribed to https://sourceforge.net/p/tmux/tickets/

To unsubscribe from further messages, a project admin can change settings at
https://sourceforge.net/p/tmux/admin/tickets/options.  Or, if this is a mailing
list, you can unsubscribe from the mailing list.