Jeff: Thanks very much for the details. It will take me a bit to get through these suggestions, but they all sound very reasonable. I'll get back with results if all goes well, questions if they don't.

Regards,

Gary

Jeff Koch wrote:

Gary:

I have seen most of these errors only on very heavily loaded mailservers that cannot keep up with the mail load. In those cases the pop3 and smtp concurrency goes through the roof, pop3 sessions start timing out and users can get the same email two and three times. You are also apparently getting hit with backscatter bounce-backs from spammers that have forged the email addresses of your users. Spamming, backscatter, etc have increased dramatically over the last month and you are feeling the result.

Things to look for and fix that we have found to be effective:

1. Search for any domain using a global catch-all, change it to 'catch-all bounced' and then change the ownership of that .qmail-default file so they can't change it back. (prevents dictionary attacks)

2. Increase the SA scores on bounces, shorten the rbl timeout:

whitelist_bounce_relays mail.gbco.us

rbl_timeout 8

add_header all Report _REPORT_

score BOUNCE_MESSAGE MTA 1.0
score ANY_BOUNCE_MESSAGE 1.0

3. Consider paying for a real blocking list like spamhaus.org's sbl and xbl. That along with qmail's rblsmtpd program and our own RBL mirror has eliminated over 75% of the spammer load on the mailserver.