From: Maciej Sołtysiak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: toaster@shupp.org
Sent: Friday, June 13, 2008 12:43:46 AM
Subject: Re: [toaster] qmail send receive

Hi,

all depends on how you restart qmail. If you do simple qmailctl stop, qmailctl start, you're bound to get in trouble.
Why? Well, it is just possible that qmailctlstop does not stop fully.
I had a setup once that was tricky to restart.. I used to:
# qmailctl stop
but then always do:
# qmailctl stat
to see if it really is down. I waited a few seconds and checked again. If it was not down, I killed the processes that
were still running:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~# qmailctl stat
/service/qmail-send: up (pid 6419) 1219640 seconds
/service/qmail-send/log: up (pid 6417) 1219640 seconds
/service/qmail-smtpd: up (pid 6421) 1219641 seconds
/service/qmail-smtpd/log: up (pid 6415) 1219641 seconds

As you see here, you have the pid shown. So if it's still running after qmailctl stop. Kill it and there you are.
You can start after that.

But please also explain why the idea to restart every 5 minutes, it's intriguing.

Regards,
Maciej

Why are you restarting the qmail-server every 5 minutes in the first place?