The receiving mailserver can do reverse DNS perfectly - just doesn't seem to want to do it during qmail smtp connections. I checked the /etc/nsswitch.conf file and changed it from:

hosts:      files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns

to:

hosts:      dns files

That didn't seem to help either. Do you think a reboot or a service restart is necessary after making this change?