Confidence: public
Environment:
   Release: V3.1
   JVM Release: 1.3.0
   Operating System: Solaris
   OS Release: 8
   Platform: SPARC

Synopsis:
Very serious BASIC authentication failure mode

Hi folks,

(Sorry, I can't check if this has already been reported as your bug mechanism is dead
today.)

Creating a simple conf/tomcat-users.xml file:

<tomcat-users>
    <user name="admin1" password="fred" roles="admin" />
    <user name="guest"  password="friend"   roles="guest" />
</tomcat-users>

I declared a couple of areas of my site to be protected in my web.xml:

    <!-- At the moment, in Tomcat, we only have BASIC authentication. -->
    <security-constraint>
        <!-- We protect the /static/protected/* and /d/protected/* areas. -->
        <web-resource-collection>
            <web-resource-name>Admin Web Area</web-resource-name>
            <url-pattern>/static/protected/*</url-pattern>
            <url-pattern>/d/protected/*</url-pattern>
            <!-- Don't list http-method values, as we want all methods protected. -->
        </web-resource-collection>
        <!-- A user must have an admin role to get into these areas. -->
        <auth-constraint>
            <role-name>admin</role-name>
        </auth-constraint>
        <!-- Use BASIC authentication as it's all that Tomcat supports for now. -->
        <login-config>
            <auth-method>BASIC</auth-method>
            <realm-name>Admin Realm</realm-name>
        </login-config>
    </security-constraint>

Note that this app is mapped to / in server.xml

When I visited one of the protected areas and logged in as guest rather than admin1,
Tomcat started showing all the contents of the site without protection
and usual handling and some interesting URL remapping.

For example, http://mysite:8080/static/protected/some/path.jsp would
show me the plaintext file at /some/path.jsp in my app as
a plaintext file.

Worse, http://mysite:8080/static/protected/static/protected/some/path.jsp
would show me the /static/protected/some/path.jsp file as a file, thus
*lowering* the system protection.

There were complaints (not to hand, sorry) in either tomcat.log
or servlet.log about Error/loop in a handler.

I hope that I just did something silly and that this is not a real bug.  Bv<

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://d.hd.org/
Title: BugRat Report # 295

BugRat Report # 295

Project: Tomcat Release: V3.1
Category: Bug Report SubCategory: New Bug Report
Class: swbug State: received
Confidence: public

Submitter: _Anonymous ( [EMAIL PROTECTED] )