I'd like to speak up about this briefly.

Catalina/Tomcat-4.0 may be the future which is fine, but Tomcat is now
being used in production settings.  We've been testing the 3.2b* releases
and the performance is better than 3.1 which is important for us.  The
performance of 3.3 is supposed to be better still.

Catalina may have the perfect design, but I can't say anything about that
because I haven't gotten time to look at the code.  From previous emails
though, it sounds like the supporting code such as Apache httpd connectors
may not be ready yet, let alone tested.  Mod_jk wasn't perfect at the last
time that I tested it, but it was functional.

What am I saying?  Tomcat 3.x may not be perfect yet, but it has the
supporting software in place and working.  Catalina may have the perfect
embedded http server, but that is of no interest to us.  We need the speed
and flexibility of the Apache httpd.  What I'm asking is will Catalina be
ready for production usage any time soon?  Has it been tuned for speed
yet?

As for 3.3, I see it as a finish of what 3.2 started.  We don't need
Servlet 2.3 yet, so that isn't important to us.  What we need is stability
and performance.  Once 3.2 is in production use, people will find bugs and
problems.  Thats the nature of software.  I think that should be the real
place of 3.3.  Take what has been done as far as performance, and the
fixes for bugs and spec compliance issues from 3.2 and put them in 3.3 and
release that.

I think that perhaps the choice between the 3.x architecture and the
Catalina proposal may have been a little premature.  Catalina doesn't have
the supporting features yet that the 3.x series has.  We can't do a
head-to-head comparison between the two because Catalina doesn't have the
connectors in place yet.

I would like to thank Costin and everybody involved in the 3.x series.
They took a non-optimal code base and turned it into something suitable
for production use.  They got it up and running soon enough that it has
been able to get traction in the industry and let us develop applications
based off the newer specifications.  They made the way for Tomcat 4.0,
whatever code that may be.  I don't think that code that works now should
be thrown away until the code that is intended to replace it is ready to
replace it.

Paul Frieden