Boyd Waters wrote:

> It's actually worse than this, because my site uses XHTML -- the HTML
> pages are XML documents. I need Tomcat to emit XML, *INCLUDING* the
> DOCTYPE declaration.
>
> So by way of winding down this rant, has anyone been able to use the XSL
> taglib with Tomcat 4.0? Or any XML at all?

OK, so I ditched the initial <? xml version="1.0" ?> line, and left the
DOCTYPE DECL in, and I was able to use the "old-style" JSP
representation, with some significant limitations.

In particular, I cannot use empty XHTML tags in my XSLT anymore, because
the new version of one of the XML processors that is with the Tomcat 4.0
distro insists on taking out the space between the tag and its closing
'/'

e.g.
in XSLT:
   ^
emitted HTML to the browser:
  ^

which Netscape 4.x blows off, screwing up my HTML...

Most user agents need those spaces.

FWIW, I was able to get emitted XHTML from Tomcat 4.0/XSLT that
validated OK with the W3.org validator, but I had to aviod these "empty"
tags in my XSLs.

Sigh...
-- boyd

PS:
I'll be posting my experiences with Tomcat, XSLT, and similar
technologies on a web log that I'm putting together. The weblog is
mirrored by a static web-server that's publically-acessible at

htpp://www.aoc.nrao.edu/~bwaters

This mirror is something of a kludge, but it's the best we can do right
now. It's updated every day or so.

---------
Boyd Waters                                          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
National Radio Astronomy Observatory              http://www.nrao.edu
PO Box 0 Socorro, NM 87801                               505.835.7346

                                        http://www.zocalo.net/~waters
                                                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
---------