Hi,
Sorry but bugrat swallowed the workaround:
You can install JSSE (Java security Extensions) and set the properties to
use the https URLStreamHandler included within there. (Put the JSSE jars in
your classpath and add
 -Djava.protocol.handler.pkgs=com.sun.net.ssl.internal.www.protocol to your
Java commandline.)

This solves the problem with the MalformedURLException, but I just noticed
that under some circumstances the encodeURL() still doesn't work.

Regards,
Andreas

p.s. Sorry for the typo in the Bug report my  e-mail is [EMAIL PROTECTED] feel
free to contact me again