Jon Stevens wrote:

> i would just like to point out that setting up an environment to build the
> java portion of tomcat-4.0 from CVS is WAY to hard. you have to know way to
> much about where things should go and such.
>
> for example, the documentation states that you should point to your JSSE
> installation directory. given that JSSE instructs you to put things into
> $JAVA_HOME/lib/ext, the tomcat build system doesn't assume that, it assumes
> is to be the place where you downloaded and un-tar'ed JSSE. i think that the
> documentation should be more clear and also the build system should not
> require you to set a bunch of environment variables if you have a well
> defined directory structure...keep reading...
>
> what i propose is to ask people to either setup their directory structure in
> a certain way or to set environment variables.
>

> for example:
>
> /stuff
>     /jakarta-tomcat-4.0
>     /jakarta-ant
>     /jakarta-servletapi
>     /jsse*
>     /jmx*
>     /jndi*
>
> Then, Tomcat's build files will first try to find relative paths to the
> other directories and if it can't find them, it will then look for env
> variables. I think that this is a perfectly acceptable build system for now.
>
> one thing i'm working on right now is adding the above functionality and
> won't check in my changes until after m5.

One issue to keep in mind when you look at the build scripts is that there are
two goals that sometimes compete:
* Build Tomcat itself (i.e. make the right JARs
  available to the right javac tasks)
* Build a binary distribution that includes all the
  JARs that can be legally redistributed (i.e.
  not JSSE).

I'm fine with improvements that accomplish both goals, but -1 on changes that do
not.

> thanks,
>
> -jon

Craig