> From: Jon Stevens [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
>
> There are no issues with porting to 4.0. I just took an app
> developed on 3.x
> and moved it to 4.0 without any problems.

Maybe for your app it ported over, but for others (specifically those
working with XML and parsers other than the one bundled with Tomcat 4.x) do
have problems with it.  Realistically I expect most applications to port
over without any changes, but I expect a handful to experience some problem
related to this.

> Ok, so great...3.3 is done and Costin disappears. What happens
> then? I wait
> around for someone else to pick up the effort while everyone else
> is working
> on and using 4.0?

No, Costin specifically said he'd be continuing maintenance and bug fixes on
the 3.x tree after his refactoring is done.  (Sorry, don't have his quote
handy)

> > Frankly, I am disappointed in the development process of
> Tomcat.  I posted a
> > simple documentation patch (See bug report 528) two weeks ago
> for the FAQ
> > included with the Tomcat 3.x and posted a couple messages about it.  I
> > haven't heard a thing about it and saw the release of 3.2.1 come and go
> > without the documentation fix.
>
> HELLO! DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! I think it is so funny that you mention this.
>
> Lets see, I see Craig and Remy constantly adding patches to Tomcat 4.0 as
> soon as they come in, but because we have this split of effort working on
> two tree's, your patches probably have gotten overlooked because
> people were
> way to busy working on the fact that we have a forked development tree.
>
> My point is that it is way to confusing for a volunteer organization to
> support this split tree like this and it needs to stop!

Alright, you got me on this one.  :-)

Although I might point out that there seems to be at least one full time
paid employee on the project.  :-)

-Dave