Stuart Roebuck wrote:

> In the course of fixing a problem I was having getting Apache Cocoon to run, I came
>across a bug in Java in the File.toURL() method.  This fault, combined with the use
>of the URLClassLoader resulted in a classloading issue.

Stuart,

I'm trying to create a simple, reproducible test case that causes Tomcat 4.0 to fail
because of this -- but so far, I have not been able to.

For example, I would assume that the following scenario should fail due to this
problem:
* Run on Linux (RH 6.2) + JDK 1.2.2
* Do *not* set the CATALINA_HOME environment variable
* Set current directory to where Tomcat 4.0 is installed
* Start it by typing "./bin/catalina.sh start".

This would cause CATALINA_HOME (and therefore the "catalina.home" system property) to
be set to "./bin/..", which would cause all the URLs in the "system" class loader --
the one created from JAR files in the "bin" directory -- to have absolute pathnames
with ".." in them, which should trigger this problem.

Yet, it still runs correctly.  Can you help me identify a failure case?

Craig