Hola David:

Sorry for the delay, just catched your message in the archive.

> * Would it be acceptable for me to submit a patch for this code that
> currently gets repeated in 2-3 different places ( in a few
> different ways
> for Tomcat 3.2 ), moving the act of reconnecting to the
> database to it's own
> seperate method that either returns void or returns a connection.

3.3 JDBCRealm is now doing that in this way, but i use a boolean
checkConnection(), I have planned backport this snippet soon ( this
night ) but in the review i have found some things that can done better
too, as translating the log methods from SimpleRealm and JDBCRealm to
BaseRealm,

What do you think Craig?

> * Would this adversely affect the amount of logging that is
> done in the
> current code?

I think JDBCRealm is doing too much logging now, so no problem.

> * If I am interpreting the logic that checks for the presence of a
> connection name and connection password correctly, in the
> case that only
> *one* of them is empty or null, the three parameter
> getConnection method is
> used. Is it possible that this could cause problems as well?

i think you are right, i will change this in ALL tomcat versions ASAP,
if nobody complaints.

> I apologize for not catching this with my original patch, and for not

No problem, Thanks to point on this , i will try to do it ASAP,

Saludos ,
Ignacio J. Ortega