Hi,

I'm developing a java servlet application using tomcat ad apache web server
under linux. The application is located in a reserved area of the website
where the request are authenticated by basic authentication of Apache.
Problem: since getRemoteUser returns always null, I haven't found a method
to know the remote user name/id. I read in other messages of this list that
actual implementation of tomcat does not manage this security feature
-( but I would be surprised if does not exists any method to "connect" the
web server authentication and the servlet engine.

I supposed two scenarios:
1 - Apache make the basic authentication, and tells to the servlet who the
authenticated user is
2 - (very, very better) Apache delegates a servlet for the authentication of
an area... this would be the best solution (for this and other problems),
but I'm pessimist

Tnx
Marco