I think what confused me was that since this is the first release of Tomcat
4.0 there really shouldn't be anything checked into the "main" branch that
isn't also put into the beta branch.  Once there is an existing product that
needs to be supported and possibly patched independent of the beta code then
I can see the need for branching.

Since 4.0 hasn't been released yet, if a nasty security bug was found during
the beta cycle we'd just fix it before releasing 4.0.

I guess I'm OK with doing a branch at this point just for consistency, but I
think we need to be very careful about any code that gets checked into
"main" (on purpose or accidentally) becuase those changes will have to be
triple-posted.  Once to "main", then to tomcat_40, then to the tomcat_41
repository.