I have tried to run Tomcat 3.2.1 as nobody then on another shell login as
my id ( eg barrow ), and run TOMCAT_HOME/bin/shutdown.sh.  I can
successfully bring tomcat.

I also tried to run Tomcat 3.2.1 as root and I can also shutdown Tomcat
3.2.1 as my id ( eg. barrow ).

Unless I did my configuration wrong; otherwise, anyone who have access to
my Linux box will be above to shutdown Tomcat without any notice..

PS: my id - bhkwan, doesn't have super user privilege. It is just a regular
user account.