Confidence: public
Environment:
   Release: 1.2.1
   JVM Release: 1.2.2
   Operating System: NT
   OS Release: 4.0
   Platform: PC

Synopsis:
Redirect to welcome file works not too well

I have a problem with welcome file list. It doesn't work the way other webservers do.
Instead of showing content of i.e. index.jsp file like others do, it posts a redirect
to index.jsp
And that redirect have content type of text/html which is OK for Web browsers, but not
OK for WAP phones (or other devices I think).
I think Tomcat should:
1) Just return welcome file and not redirect to it. Redirecting is slower and makes
bookmarked addreses longer (client could bookmark http://www.x.com/ not
http://www.x.com/index.html) and makes bookmarks more stable (if somebody changes
index.html to index.jsp and somebody has bookmarked www.x.com/index.html)
Maybe should it be parameter for that behaviour?
2) Redirect with a type which is suitable for user agent (user agent informs server
which mime type it supports)
Title: BugRat Report # 780

BugRat Report # 780

Project: Tomcat Release: 1.2.1
Category: Bug Report SubCategory: New Bug Report
Class: swbug State: received
Confidence: public

Submitter: Michal Hobot ( [EMAIL PROTECTED] )
Responsible: Z_Tomcat Alias ( [EMAIL PROTECTED] )

Synopsis:
Redirect to welcome file works not too well
Environment: (jvm, os, osrel, platform)
1.2.2, NT, 4.0, PC

Additional Environment Description:

Report Description:
I have a problem with welcome file list. It doesn't work the way other webservers do. Instead of showing content of i.e. index.jsp file like others do, it posts a redirect to index.jsp And that redirect have content type of text/html which is OK for Web browsers, but not OK for WAP phones (or other devices I think). I think Tomcat should: 1) Just return welcome file and not redirect to it. Redirecting is slower and makes bookmarked addreses longer (client could bookmark http://www.x.com/ not http://www.x.com/index.html) and makes bookmarks more stable (if somebody changes index.html to index.jsp and somebody has bookmarked www.x.com/index.html) Maybe should it be parameter for that behaviour? 2) Redirect with a type which is suitable for user agent (user agent informs server which mime type it supports)

How To Reproduce:
null

Workaround:
null