I've just taken a closer look at this, it's a browser problem.

IE 5.5 has really trouble with content types. Even though I'm setting the
type to text/html (in a filter) but at some point I've used IE 5.5 to get
the data without the filter. The servlet returns text/xml. It seems that
IE5.5 is struggling to reconcile this (that's all I can think of).

Netscape has no problems (for once :-) ),

Kevin Jones
DevelopMentor
www.develop.com