Hi Tomcat developers,

I'd like to have your opinion on servlet unit testing. I have written a
simple extension to JUnit called J2EEUnit to do that but I'd like to knwo if
there is a general consensus on servlet unit testing, regarding it's
usefulness :

Do you think :

1) It is useless. Just need to put a good facade in front of your business
code and for the remaining part related to Servlets, functional tests are
fine (using a tool such as HttpUnit),

2) It is nice to be able to unit test the part of the code related to
servlets (i.e. the controller in a MVC model).It is possible to come up with
a tool to do that (ex: J2EEUnit)

3) With the current servlet API it is not possible to come up with a
framework that will let you properly do unit tests. It will have lots of
shortcomings. The only solution is to extend the Servlet API by our own
Servlet Test API. Then have Tomcat implement it. Once we have this, it will
then be possible to create a tool/framework that make use of this Test API
to unit test servlet. The next step will to promote this API so that it
becomes a standard and other Servlet engine implement it.

For point 3), are you aware of any project/discussion/JSR on the subject ?

Thanks a lot.
Vincent Massol
J2EEUnit author