Just a quick note - my experience so far with server-side performance is
that it doesn't matter how many objects you create, as long as you do it
only once ( and not for each request ).

I don't think doing any reuse inside a page ( i.e. same tag instance
beeing reused during a request ) is worth the effort at this stage -
you'll get most of the benefit and improvements by just using a pool and
reusing the tags from request to request - if possible.
Later you can do more advanced things.

Another note - it would be nice if the pool interface is not very
hardcoded in the implementation. Most of the time there is a sync() that
is hard to avoid in pools, and you get a good improvement by using
thread data ( in a form or another ). This is a bit hard because the
same page may be accessed in multiple threads - so you'll have to keep tag
instances duplicated per thread - but there are solutions to control it
without affecting the response time, and most of the times few pages get
most of the hits - so it's not like all the tags from all the pages will
be cached at all times.

Costin